Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences (Financial Wellness)
Position Number: 103514
Category Status: Tenured/Tenure-Track, Faculty,Full-Time
Unit: Mid-Shore Cluster (Caroline, Dorchester and Talbot Counties)
Location: University of Maryland Extension(Caroline County Extension Office, 194 Legion Rd. Suite 4,Denton, MD 21629)
The Extension Educator will design, teach, implement and evaluate educational programs using research-based information for youth and adult audiences in the Mid-Shore Cluster. Programs will focus primarily financial capability and wellness for families, youth, and communities including entrepreneurship, food resource management and procurement, health and wellness concepts, etc. In carrying out these duties, the educator is responsible to the Family & Consumer Sciences Program Leader for programmatic leadership. For county-specific administrative matters, the individual is responsible to the Area Extension Director.
Plan, implement and expand interdisciplinary educational programs designed to meet the needs of priority audiences, as identified through local needs assessment strategies. These efforts may include an integrated focus on financial capability, while incorporating food resource management, health and wellness, etc.
Provide leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs focused broadly on financial wellness for families, youth, and communities including entrepreneurship, food resource management and procurement, health and wellness concepts, etc.
Collaborate with colleagues across Maryland to implement signature financial capability programs for targeted priority audiences that meet local priority needs and address UME state wide priorities.
Engage clientele in the education process using learner-centered strategies and targeted outcomes that result in improvements in knowledge, attitudes, and skills leading to positive behaviors and practices.
Utilize planned evaluation strategies as outlined in Healthy Living Program Playbook, including Financial Wellness action team plans.
Develop partnerships and collaborations with colleagues, campus specialists, external organizations, and government agencies to implement educational programs and better serve clientele.
Utilize only educational materials from University of Maryland, other state/national extension programs and universities, government and NGOs that are grounded in research and science and are evidence-based.
Generate funding through the development of proposals to supplement and enhance local programming efforts, includinggrants, contracts, and cost recoveryefforts.
Develop, synthesize, and disseminate knowledge related to programpriorities through scholarly efforts, including peer-reviewed publications, professional presentations,articlesinrefereedjournals,etc.
Actively participate in professional service such as relevant committees, boards, and associations at the local,state,university,and national levels.
- MS Degree in personal finance, family & consumer sciences, or related field
- General understanding of educational program developmentprocess
- Evidence of ability to effectively communicate with and engage diverse clientele.
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent teaching and communication skills.
- Ability to think independently, yet work successfully as a member of a cohesive team
- Strong interpersonal skills to support the development of successful collaborations.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Outlook.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- Personal transportation and valid driver’s license required. Must be willing to travel through out Cluster counties, as well as the state of Maryland as needed.
- Flexible work schedule required for delivering evening and weekend educational programs and activities as determined by clientele availability and needs.
- This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
- Ph. D.preferred.
- Certification in Financial Education expertise preferred.
- Skills and experience in group process and facilitation preferred.
- Extension or similar work experience in formal or non-formal community education preferred.
- Ability and experience in using social media to engage clientele preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Nature of the Position: The position frequently presents information through vocal and written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds. The ability to express or exchange ideas vocally is important, as well as the ability to hear and perceive information at normal spoken work evels.
Physical Demands: A routine part of the position’s responsibilities would be to transport materials to and from teaching/event locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. The employee will frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds.Set-up and tear-down of displays, tables, and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
Environmental: Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline driven in terms of program planning and reporting. The position requires the employee to work outdoors at certain times of the year,especially during the time of annual fair,4-Hr residential or day camps and youth recreation activities. This may occur during very hot and/or inclement weather.
Visual Acuity: Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary will be commensurate with experience: Master’s Base:$51,575–Ph.D.Base:$61,650.
The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. Position is a full-time tenure track position.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. A complete application packet includes: a cover letter, resume or CV, contact information for three (3) professional references (including name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address),and copies of transcripts.
CLOSING DATE: For best consideration apply by 11/10/17 or until suitable candidate isselected.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged toapply.